Date: August 3, 2019
Event: Zippo 200 (Round 20 of 33)
Location: Watkins Glen International (2.45-Mile Road Course)
Format: 82 laps (Stages: 20 laps / 40 laps / 82 laps)
Start / Finish: 10th / 17th (Completed 82 of 82 laps)
Point Standing: 12th
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-20)
- Brandon Jones had a solid qualifying run and started the Zippo 200 from the 10th position.
- On lap six Jones was running in seventh and pitted under green because he was running hot.
- The 1st Foundation crew removed grass from his grill and after he cycled through he was in 22nd place.
- Jones fought his way back up to 13th as Stage 1 ended under yellow and green-white checkered when the 4 car hit the wall.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 21-40)
- Several of the leaders pitted while Crew Chief Meendering had Jones stay out for track position.
- When racing resumed, Jones had moved up six positions to seventh.
- Jones ran the entire stage 2 in the top-10 and finished seventh at the end of the stage.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 41-82)
- Jones pitted for fuel, four tires and a wedge adjustment to loosen up his Supra.
- He started the final stage from the 14th position.
- Meendering called Jones down pitroad for fuel only on lap 52 from the 11th position.
- NASCAR brought Jones back down pitroad for a pass through penalty for running through too many pit stalls, putting him back to 23rd.
- Jones fought his way back up to 13th by lap 68, but was got caught up in a multicar incident in turn 1 causing significant right-side damage.
- Meendering brought Jones back down pitroad to evaluate the damage. The 1st Foundation crew made repairs and were able to get Jones back out on track staying on the lead lap.
- Jones fell back to 23rd but was able to fight his way up to 17th where he finished the 82 lap race.
Run us through your day out there?
“This race was pretty hectic. I had a lot of speed in our 1st Foundation Supra. This track is very brutal on your body because it takes a lot of braking force on every one of these corners to stay after it. We were running top three lap times there for a long time in the race. We’ve just got to clean up our races a little bit. This time it was on me driving through too many pit stalls. It was tough to see coming over some hills on pit road, so it’s difficult to see how many stalls away that you are. That was a mistake on my end, but everyone stayed after it and I thought we were going to be able to actually get a pretty good finish there at the end. It just didn’t work out, but we’ve got Mid-Ohio next. I’ve been there a lot in the Xfinity Series, so our team should do well there.”
Next Up: The team now heads to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for the B-L Transport 170 on Saturday, August 10, 2019. Jones will be in the No. 19 Menards / NRG Toyota Supra. The race starts at 3:00 p.m. ET with live coverage provided by SiriusXM, MRN and NBCSN.