Date: August 24, 2019
Event: CTech Manufacturing 80 (Round 23 of 33)
Location: Road America (4.008-Mile Road Course)
Format: 45-laps (Stages: 10 laps / 20 laps / 45 laps)
Start / Finish: 20th / 16th (Completed 45 of 45 laps)
Point Standing: 11th
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-10)
- Brandon Jones had a rough final practice at Road America Saturday when he got loose in the kinks, drove off track and acquired extensive front-end damage sending him to a backup car.
- Jones’ first laps in the backup Supra was when he qualified 20th. Unfortunately, going to a backup sent him to the rear of the field for the start the 45-lap, 14 turn race.
- On lap 3 Jones ran off the track and collected dirt and grass on the grill, which forced him to come down pitroad early under green to remove the debris and fuel and change four tires.
- Jones ended Stage 1 in the 34th position.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 11-20)
- Crew Chief Jeff Meendering had Jones stay out as most of the field pitted. He started Stage 2 from sixth on lap 12.
- Jones was fighting a very tight condition and had fallen back to 15th on lap 15, but was able to muscle his way back into the top-10 by lap 18.
- He finished Stage 2 in eighth place on lap 20 collected valuable stage points.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 21-45)
- Jones still was fighting a very tight condition so he pitted for fuel, four tires and a wedge adjustment to loosen up his Supra.
- He started the final stage on lap 23 from the 13th position.
- On lap 32 a caution flag flew for debris in Turn 4 from Jones’ Supra. His left front tire had blown and torn up his left front fender causing considerable damage, which brought him down pitroad for the 1st Foundation crew to work on repairs and get him back out on the lead lap.
- Meendering called Jones back down pitroad a second time to have the crew make more repairs.
- When racing resumed on lap 33, Jones was in the 29th position.
- Jones fought the ill-handling Supra for the next 12 laps and was able to gain 13 spots placing him into the 16th position when he crossed the start/finish line.
Next Up: The team now heads to Darlington Raceway for the Sport Clips Haircuts VFW 200 on Saturday, August 31, 2019. Jones will be in the No. 19 Mojo Outdoors/iK9 Toyota Supra. The race starts at 4:00 p.m. ET with live coverage provided by SiriusXM, MRN and NBCSN.