Date: August 16, 2019
Event: Food City 300 (Round 22 of 33)
Location: Bristol Motor Speedway (.533-mile concrete oval)
Format: 300 laps (Stages: 85 laps / 85 laps / 130 laps)
Start / Finish: 8th / 11th
Point Standing: 2nd (54 points behind the leader)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-85)
- Brandon Jones started from the 12th starting position on the world’s fastest half-mile.
- Jones broke into the top-10 on lap five and reported that his Menards Supra rolled good but needed more rear grip.
- Crew chief Jeff Meendering’s strategy was to have Jones stay out during the first three cautions.
- Meendering had Jones pit during the fourth caution for fuel, four tires and air adjustments.
- The No. 19 Menards team had a great pitstop and Jones was in second when racing went green on lap 76.
- Jones captured the lead on lap 79, led six laps and won Stage 1 gaining valuable stage points.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 86-170)
- Jones started Stage 2 on lap 87 from 14th because several cars stayed out.
- Meendering had Jones pit for more adjustments, fuel and four tires.
- Jones fought his way back into the top-10 on lap 99 and finished Stage 2 in sixth place.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 171-298)
- Jones started the final stage on lap 179 from fourth place and moved into third on lap 180.
- After surviving two more cautions, Jones ran in third the majority of the stage.
- On lap 280 the final caution flag flew and Jones was in third place. On lap 286 racing resumed and Jones was still in third but fell back to fourth.
- With13 laps to go Jones threaded the needle between the 2 and 98 cars to take second place and was gaining on the leader Justin Allgaier when with 11 laps to go Jones’ right front tire blew pushing him up into the wall.
- Jones pitted for right-sides tires only and was able to get back out on the track and finish 11th.
How did your race go?
“It was excellent, really. I felt like that was our race to win. I don’t know if we cut a tire or it sounds like the sidewall itself separated, so it might just be a tire failure there. I know the 7 (Justin Allgaier) had the same issue pretty close to the same time we did. I hate it for the guys, but that was a really fast Menards Supra that we had this weekend. Soleus was on the hood this weekend with us, that was a new sponsor coming on for us, so it’s cool to see that change on the hood. We have another road course, so I’m looking forward to going there.”
Next Up: The team now heads to Road America for the CTECH Manufacturing 180 on Saturday, August 24, 2019. Jones will be back in the No. 19 1st Foundation Toyota Supra. The race starts at 2 p.m. CST with live coverage provided by SiriusXM, MRN and NBCSN.