Date: June 16, 2019
Event: CircuitCity.com 250 (Round 14 of 33)
Location: Iowa Speedway in Newton (.875-mile oval)
Format: 250 laps, broken into three stages (60 laps/60 laps/130 laps)
Start/Finish: 11th/11th (Running, completed 250 of 250 laps)
Point Standings: 12th (382 points, 267 out of first)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60):
- Jones started 11th and finished 11th.
- Under the first caution of the day on lap 31, Jones reported that his No. 19 1st Foundation Toyota Supra was tight in the center of the corner early in the run, though it had improved prior to the caution.
- Jones restarted 12th on lap 38 and briefly entered the top-10 before the second caution of the race on lap 50.
- During this caution, crew chief Jeff Meendering brought Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and chassis adjustments. Five cars stayed on track, with Jones restarting 17th on lap 56.
- Jones rallied to 11th during the last five laps of the stage
- At the end of the stage, Jones told the 1st Foundation team that he was loose all the way through the corner. Meendering elected to keep Jones on track to maintain track position.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-120):
- Started 10th and finished eighth. Earned three bonus points.
- Jones maintained his position within the top-10 for all 60 laps of the stage. He gained two spots in the final eight laps to finish eighth.
- Under the caution at the stage break on lap 120, Jones radioed that the No. 19 1st Foundation Toyota Supra fired off too loose, but it was too tight in the center of the corner by the end of the run.
- On lap 124, the Atlanta native pitted for four tires, fuel, and chassis and air pressure adjustments.
- The 1st Foundation team gained one spot on pit road to restart seventh for the final stage.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 121-250):
- Started seventh and finished 11th.
- On lap 132 while running ninth, Jones said he was tight in the center of the corner and loose on exit.
- After slipping back to 10th on lap 137, Jones added that the 1st Foundation Supra had “started working its way loose” on entry.
- When the caution was shown on lap 180, Jones said he was now tight on entry and snapping loose on corner exit.
- Jones came to pit road on lap 181 for four tires, fuel and a chassis adjustment. A quick stop from the 1st Foundation team placed Jones in the ninth position for the lap-186 restart.
- Another caution occurred on lap 217, allowing Jones to come to the attention of the 1st Foundation crew for four tires, fuel and adjustments to help loosen up the No. 19 Toyota Supra.
- Jones lined up 10th for the lap-222 restart but fell back to 12th after sustaining front-end damage when the field went back to green. The damage affected the handling of the 1st Foundation Toyota, forcing Jones to pit during the next caution on lap 236.
- On pit road on lap 237, the No. 19 team made repairs and adjustments to the 1st Foundation machine and Jones rejoined the field in 13th.
- Jones gained two spots in the final 10 laps to finish 11th.
- Christopher Bell won the CircuitCity.com 250 to score his 12th career Xfinity Series victory, his fourth of the season and his second at Iowa. His margin of victory over second-place Cole Custer was .409 of a second.
- There were seven cautions for a total of 48 laps.
- Only 13 of the 38 drivers finished on the lead lap.
- Tyler Reddick remains the championship leader after Iowa with a 51-point advantage over Bell, his nearest pursuer.
Brandon Jones – “We had a hard time getting the handling to a place where it was manageable throughout the full run and the damage we got late in the race on one of the restarts set us back. This 1st Foundation team always does such a great job adjusting and they got our Toyota Supra fixed up and we were able to pick up a few more spots at the end. These guys work hard and I have no doubt we’ll show up at Chicagoland in a couple weeks ready to run up front.”
Next Up: The next event on the Xfinity Series schedule is the Camping World 300 on Saturday, June 29 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBCSN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.