Date: March 9, 2019
Event: iK9 Service Dog 200 Race (Round 4 of 33)
Location: ISM Raceway (1-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps (Stages: 45 laps / 90 laps / 200 laps)
Start / Finish: 11th / 7th (Running, completed 200 of 200 laps)
Point Standing: 5th
Race Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45)
- Brandon Jones and the No. 19 Juniper Networks team started the iK9 Service Dog 200 from 11th, had a great restart and immediately jumped into ninth place.
- On lap 32 the first caution flag flew when the 17 car hit the wall in Turn 4
- Crew chief Jeff Meendering advised Jones to pit if the majority of the leader’s pit.
- Jones pitted for a wedge adjustment, four tires and fuel while seven cars stayed out.
- Jones ended stage 2 in 12th place.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90)
- Jones started stage 2 from the eighth position and ran in the top-10 the majority of the stage.
- He reported chattering in the front tires and that he was still tight.
- He finished the stage on lap 45 in 11th place.
- Meendering called Jones back down
pitroadfor four tires, fuel and wedge to tighten up his Juniper Networks Toyota Supra.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 91-200)
- When the final stage went green, Jones was in 12th and started working his way to the top-10.
- On lap 130 the final caution flag flew and Jones pitted for four tires, fuel
anda wedge adjustment.
- With 58 laps to go, Jones methodically worked his way back into the top-10 and when he crossed the start/finish line he had finished in 7th place and earned his third top-ten finish for 2019.
Another top-10 finish this season. How does it feel to be so consistent early on?
“I would like to have seen our day go a little better. I think here today, we didn’t really capitalize on our stage points like we have been throughout the year so far, but they stuck with me the whole day and we brought this Supra to seventh. It’s just a testament to the team. I think we’ve got a great group of guys. We’ve been running great so far all year long. Just missed it a little bit here, but we’ve got another race here towards the end of the year and that’s the one that really matters when it’s close to the Playoffs. Looking forward to it and maybe we’ll make our Supra a little better when we come back.”
Next Up: The team now heads to Auto Club Speedway for the Xfinity Series 300 on Saturday, March 16, 2019. Jones will be piloting the No. 19 Menards / Turtle Wax Toyota Supra. The race starts at 5 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by MRN and FS1.